Serving Del Norte County
The Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority is a joint powers authority formed by the City of Crescent City and the County of Del Norte in 1992 to administer and manage all solid waste, recycling, composting, and household hazardous waste facilities, services, and programs throughout Del Norte County, California. Click on the links below for more information about:
The Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority is soliciting proposals for Household Hazardous Waste & Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Collection Events. For additional information contact the DNSWMA at 707-465-1100 regarding this solicitation. Proposals are due by 4:30 PM on January 24, 2017.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Authority developed the service standards and request for proposals, procured competitive proposals, and selected and administers the Franchise Collections Agreement with Recology Del Norte to provide trash, recyclables, and brush collection services in Del Norte County.
The Authority and its contractors developed the facility layout, design, and construction of the Del Norte County Transfer Station to replace those services previously offered at the Crescent City Landfill prior to its closure, and to establish a location for additional separation, processing, and recovery of solid waste and recyclables should the laws and regulations for materials management change in future. The Authority developed the service standards and request for proposals, procured competitive proposals, and selected and administers the Transfer Station Operations Agreement with Hambro/WSG.
Interested persons submit an application to the County Board of Supervisors or City Council to serve as volunteers on the Del Norte Solid Waste Task Force. All applicants must be approved by a majority vote of the Board of Supervisors, and ratified by a majority vote of the Crescent City Council (or vice versa) and are appointed for terms of five years.
The Del Norte Solid Waste Task Force is a standing advisory group of citizen volunteers, as described under Public Resources Code section 40950, who meet to discuss and advise the Authority Board and CalRecycle regarding strategies, programs, and policy options for the Authority to implement, especially in relation to the Countywide Integrated Waste Management Plan and its elements as amended, implemented, and monitored by the Authority, its staff and contractors.
Since 1992, the Authority Board has been comprised of five Commissioners. Two were appointed by the Mayor of Crescent City from among the five elected City Councilpersons, two were appointed by the Chair of the Board of Supervisors from among the five elected County Supervisors, and one was elected by the other four Authority Commissioners.
Starting in December 2011 and through 2012, the Authority Board was comprised of the entire membership of both the Crescent City Council and the Del Norte County Board of Supervisors, with no public member and no stipends paid for service as an Authority Commissioner. Starting in May 2013, the Authority Commissioners once again consisted of two City Councilmembers, two County Supervisors, and one public member elected by the other four Authority Commissioners.
The Authority’s Director, legal counsel, and Treasurer serve at the will of the Board under the terms of each of their respective contracts. The Authority’s Director works with the Del Norte County Personnel Department to hire staff and fill vacant positions.
The First Amended Joint Powers Agreement adopted in 2012 established the Purpose, composition, organization, powers and functions of the Authority, there are six purposes of the Authority:
- Planning, siting, permitting, developing, constructing, maintaining, managing and providing gate attendants for public disposal sites, transfer stations, and/or sanitary landfills, and planning for and securing the services of necessary non-disposal processing facilities or other options related to recovering discarded resources and processing those materials to increase their value; (see Facilities)
- Preparing, implementing, and providing related monitoring, reporting, updates and revisions for programs of a Regional Agency Integrated Waste Management Plan as required under the California Integrated Waste Management Act of 1989 as amended (California Public Resources Code commencing with section 40050), including programs related to used motor oil, oil filters, and household hazardous wastes and other materials and products banned from mixed waste disposal;
- Defining and monitoring the service standards for collections of discards in the incorporated and unincorporated area of County and the ability to grant franchises for waste hauling and/or collection and processing of mixed recyclable materials, in its discretion; (Recology Del Norte provides services under the Collections Franchise)
- Exercising all setting and controls on maximum rates to be charged to the public for discard collections services, and solid waste and recycling services in Del Norte County, and other appropriate powers reasonably necessary to carry out the purpose of this Agreement, including securing disposal capacity for Del Norte County residents, agencies, and businesses as required under Public Resources Code sections 41701 and 41703;
- Developing, adopting, and implementing Ordinances and programs to control and prosecute illegal dumping and blight in Del Norte County associated with solid waste accumulation and storage; and
- Post-closure maintenance, monitoring, reporting and remediation related to the Crescent City Landfill as required by relevant Orders from the Regional Water Quality Control Board, North Coast Region, the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) the North Coast Air Quality Management District.
On 10 September 2014, the Authority Board of Commissioners adopted the following Mission Statement: “The Authority’s Mission is the management of Del Norte County solid waste and recyclable material in an environmentally sound, cost effective, efficient and safe manner while ensuring 100% regulatory compliance with law.”
It is a rural regional local government agency formed as a joint powers authority by the City of Crescent City and the County of Del Norte to administer and manage all responsibilities for solid waste, recycling, composting, and household hazardous waste facilities, services, and programs throughout Del Norte County.